sábado, 14 de enero de 2012

Shade



Yeah so it happened again and this time it was for fucking real. This time I was brought to my knees, brought to tears, brought to the brink... Brought to my best, worst shittiest Spanish, not hungover but with real, directed passion. I was pointed, I was right and I was still brought to the brink. It's a wonder I'm 400 kilometers into Mexico right now, it's no wonder I laughed out loud when Prince's song "I would die for you" came on. If you can't tell it has been one hell of a 24 hours. I know I'm gettin somewhere though, obviously physically I'm moving in the direction of the United States border, but mentally I learned a thing or two about myself. I understood that this morning. I'm getting somewhere...
So aside from the festivities that occurred last night (Some small arms fire broke out in the parking lot where Kombi and I were sleeping, it's way to F'd to try and convey on this blog so if you want to talk about it ask me when I get home) the last 24 hours started out like any other on this trip. Really shitty roads leading up to the frontier with Guatemala and Mexico and a seemingly easy crossing into said country. I was stoked to find that the immigration process went so smoothly and I was on my way north to the Aduana office that was an hour or so away from the crossing itself. It's pretty wild how excited I was just knowing that I was only one country away from being home and had just crossed my last foreign border, it really felt like I was "almost home". Well there's Will; strolling with his usual stack of licenses, passport, seguros, everything, up to the Aduana window ready to get on with it. This is kind of a broken record i know but this time the dude behind the window meant it when he said "I'm sorry Wheeheum but it is not possible for you to drive this vehicle in our country, this registration is expired." So again with the terrible Spanish and again with the shaking of the head and again with his boss explaining to me that I had to go back to Peru and re-register my vehicle. Again with all of this shit but this time through a small window with cool air blowing in my face. Finally he simply handed my papers back to me and said good bye, closed window... It was over. The trip to end all trips, crossing 15 borders, building and crossing infinite bridges, working till bone, drinking till sun, laughing till vomit, drinking till vomit, shitting till vomit, putting life and limb on the line for my Kombi and my self. It was all set to end there. In my tear-held-back state I sat there in complete disbelief that it had all come to this. Was it possible that Kombi was to stay in Tapachula abandoned on a street corner and I was buying an expensive plane ticket home? The options, however limited, ran over and over in my head. I figured I had one more real shot at this:

With all of my overflowing but concentrated passion I waited for the right moment to pull one of Aduana dudes aside(one I hadn't spoken with yet) and quickly, very quickly explained my F'd up Peruvian registration, what had just occurred, and my complete situation. I could tell immediately that he cared, he had that look. Well he took my papers and commenced a 120 second conversation with the original dudes trying to giving Kombi one last chance at life in the USA. Again with the broken record but it's hard to describe how the next hour of our life went, what with the starring at Kombi contemplating where in the hell we really were and being told that they had to contact the Hefe and we had a 50/50 chance. No way to tell really, most people have to go back to Guatemala he says. I prayed, I prayed first to Mexi and last to Mexi, Kombi and I really needed his help this time. He HAD to right, I mean Christ this is MEXICO he was MEXI this shit should not have gone down like this but it had to go down like this. Time crept by, my emotions ran wild, my imagination ran wild, and well, like any good friend would, Mexi delivered. On point my man, I would say I owe you one brother, but we stopped keeping track of that shit a long time ago.



So here I am, 400 K into Mexico, just had a fantastic dinner of Pollo en Salsa Verde and I'm sipping on a warm rum in the parking lot of a Pemex gas station. Side note is that due to some poor planning and the Mexican government taking $300 from me at the border I'm down to $18 dollars cash... total. Getting that sorted out tomorrow should be interesting. I'm not sure if an afternoon and evening can get any better than this, if it does don't bother telling me about it. I've just had my bar set so high I would know you were lying.............

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario