martes, 20 de diciembre de 2011

The Knock Out, Kinda like the Mallman song....

It's over, it's done.  Kombi vs. Andy ended yesterday.  The bout of the century, the fight to end all fights, Ali-Frazier's got nothin on this.  If it seems cryptic it should, it was, and it always will be.

I bought Kombi about 13 months ago with the idea that I would drive her till she died or back to Lima, whichever happened first.  Well over the first few months of that time I grew very fond of this lady and her curves and the way she put up a relentless, calculated battle to meander her way through round after round with the Andes.  So much so that I dedicated myself and my resources to returning to her to do it all over again.  Finish this deal soti-speak(Brent).  When I found her a month ago with flat tires, an inch of dust, and no insurance she still had a smile on her face, still had that fire in her loins.  The connection was real, the love palpable(Remember: I sleep inside of her every night, so yes, it's sexual).  It was just like old times, like I had driven her the day before.(Again, totally sexual)  Setting out from all things she and I knew as the comforts of Lima proper was so exciting that she lost her left rear wheel, but that was just the start.  We saw some old friends and some old beaches, but mostly we've explored the new and the interesting.  The whole of the 5,000 or so kilometers to Cartagena, Colombia.  All in all I would say fairly event free with some repairs both minor and major but those conducted with love so not the hassle one would assume, merely QT with Kombi. 

An accurate GPS would have calculated to the meter and the kilometer the distance we traveled both toward the sky and over the land but in this case it's not necessary.  No, I have a better gauge.  My gauge involves time, people, and inaccurate road maps.  Funny because the slower she wanted to go the more people I met, for once speed wasn't on my side.  Slower and slower, having an incredible knack for knowing when to break down and when to spin like a top.  She decided when and how I would meet some of the most amazing individuals a man can hope to, she made me meet four Brazilians that were lost in the Atacama desert of Chile and running out of fuel fast; they all spoke perfect English, they stopped to ask the Gringo for directions. 

If it seems like I'm rambling on it's because I am, we're here, we've done it.  Rolling into Cartagena, Colombia completes my route through South America.  In two days Kombi will be loaded onto a freight ship and cast off to Colon, Panama.  Effectively ending, forever, her years as a resident of South America.  The Rumble in the Jungle is over, Kombi has beaten Andy and all that lay in its wake on this oily, dust covered mat is a pile of friends, empty beers, and a shitty blog to document it all.  Ah the memories that are South America, I know I'll be back but Kombi won't.  On the 26th or 27th of December we'll embark on the second leg of this trip to surf our sweet asses back to the good ol' US of A. 

Leg one is complete, leg two has a lot of questions and kilometers.  Different, new questions that Kombi nor I have ever answered.  Different, new kilometers that Kombi nor I have ever driven.  The stoke is high, the work has been done to prepare us for the road ahead, and I have time to kill in Cartagena......  beers anyone?




1 comentario:

  1. what the fuck. i was just re-reading this masterpiece and, as always, wishing that i could leave comments. then i noticed 7 people are members. turns out i'm one of em. turns out i can leave comments.

    so here is my comment. it's about to happen. are you ready? It happened. It's happening

    ResponderEliminar